Monday, April 8, 2019

Reading Challenge: Book That Takes Place in Another Country - check!

I actually finished this book a couple of weeks ago and am only getting to my post now. So this is my 8th book of the reading challenge. I put it under the category of taking place in another country as it was set in England. The Girlfriend by Michelle Frances:


This was a book that was a slow burn and then a roller coaster ride. When it hit the full-on crazy, it picked up a lot of speed. I enjoyed this book. The funny thing is that I was not really into any of the characters: Cherry was just way too focused on changing her place in the pecking order and was way crazy. Laura's lies kept compounding the problem and got way out of hand. And Daniel just did not have a clue. Even though I did not really like the characters, I really liked the story around them. I, as a mother, cannot imagine using a lie to try to get rid of someone - I am much too straight-forward for that. However, I can understand the desperation to keep her son safe. I was kind of annoyed with Daniel for so easily doubting his mother because he was so caught up in Cherry. How he did not see through her manipulative nature irked me. I would have liked to see a bit more sway between him with both women rather than just being on one side most of the time.

I see that Michelle Frances has a couple of other books - I may just have to try them out. I rated this book 4 stars on Goodreads for the fast pace at the end and the fact that I really needed to know where things were going. I was engaged the whole way.

I have also loaned this book to 2 different friends already and the one who has already finished it really enjoyed it.

My next book is by a favorite author of mine:

No comments:

Post a Comment