Thursday, March 14, 2019

Reading Challenge: A Memoir - check!


Another book checked off the list: Becoming by Michelle Obama. This is my 7th book checked off the list from the reading challenge by Stephanie Howell and her Bloom Where You Are Planted Book Group.


I had heard good things about this book and was curious. I have always liked the way Michelle presents herself in public and admire the strong woman that she is. I was pleased that her story read like we were having a conversation over coffee or tea. Hearing about her upbringing and strong sense of family was something I could relate to. Her closeness to her brother is something I share. Only, my brother is younger than me. Reading about how she and Barack met and became a strong couple was interesting to read. Even humanizing him by mentioning his more roll-with-the-punches take on life to her very structured environment and how to make the 2 work reminded me of life with my husband. 

One of the main themes I gravitated to was how she balanced family with all that was going on around them. Being a mom of 2 girls, myself, I could identify with the struggle to teach my daughters to be self-sufficient and to be as present as possible with all the demands of having a full-time job and trying to be a wife as well. Throw in being the First Lady and that was quite the feat. Reading about her struggles made her relatable. At her core, she is a strong woman trying to do right by her family and hopefully having an impact on others as well.

I rated this book 4 stars on Goodreads. The length of time it took me to finish this book was in no way a reflection on the content or how much I liked it. The past month has been busy, so reading time was harder to come by. I really did enjoy this book. It made me feel like if I ever had the chance to sit and have a cup of tea with Michelle, it would be an easy-going conversation that would just flow naturally.

I am now moving on to my next book:


No comments:

Post a Comment