Monday, April 8, 2019

Reading Challenge: A Book You Tried Once But Didn't Finish - check!

This next book was one that I originally tried to read once, but at the time I could not get into it, so put it down to read something else. I then tried it again and it became my 9th book in the reading challenge. A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult:

I enjoy books by this author and several of my 5-star ratings are her books (The Storyteller, Small Great Things, etc...). I love what Jodi can do with a moral dilemma and show both sides with such skill. This one was about a very polarizing theme: abortion. Whether you are pro-life or pro-choice, most people do not waiver from what they believe. This story wove several stories around each other. I have read her back and forth between the present and the past in other books of hers and I have found it to be an effective tool. I am sorry to say I found the approach in this book to fall a bit flat with me. I prefer when she starts all the way back and works up to the present. In this book, she kept going further and further back. I found it a bit more tedious only because every I did not find that it brought me to what should have been the climax of the story. Although I enjoyed the book, it was not one of my favorites by this author. I felt like there were a few too many characters with too many points of view trying to be covered. Because of that, I did not really gravitate to any of her characters like I normally do. I gave it 3 stars on Goodreads.

And with that, I present the next book on my list:


No comments:

Post a Comment