Friday, January 18, 2019

Reading Challenge: A Book That Stephanie Recommended - check!

I finished this book last weekend. 



Reading The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas was quite the ride. I found myself constantly trying to find time to read it as I wanted to know what was going to happen. The main character, Starr, was in such an impossible position at such a young age. Trying to figure out who she was and how to find her voice while living in 2 very distinct worlds/societies was a great weight on her shoulders while carrying so much tragedy, past and present. The thread of prejudice and racism was something that I wish I could say was an old theme and something that no longer exists, but I am not naive enough to say that. In fact, it brought me back to my days in college, living in Florida. Having moved from a melting pot of races and cultures, I will admit that it was very hard for me at that age to realize that what I had seen in movies was not necessarily exaggerated - it was just not something I had experienced first hand in Montreal (where I was born and raised). Having some situations to pull from with the writing style of Angie Thomas, this book really hit home and pulled me along from page to page, just hoping that things would work out somehow.

The theme of family was one that really hit me as well. What defines a family and the family dynamic is something that is different for everyone. I have always said that we have our family that is blood and our family that we choose. This was something that often came up throughout the book. I don't want to give anything away because I think that this is a story that everyone needs to discover as it happens in order to be able to feel a raw reaction. I was heartbroken while angry while hopeful all the while hooked to the story. I went through lots of emotions and that is why I gave this book a rating of 5 stars on Goodreads. I am still thinking about it, which means it made quite the impression on me. I encourage others to read it and go along the ride with Starr. 

That was a book that was one of Stephanie's 5-star ratings, so I am glad I picked it as my choice for something she recommended.

I have already started my next book: a book with a color in the title. Oh James Patterson, how I love your books. So far this one does not disappoint!


No comments:

Post a Comment